Wednesday, August 18, 2010

earthquake drills & new friends

yesterday was a great day... i went to an international relations class thinking it would be a back up course idea (we register on monday).. but i love the class discussions and the professor so much so i think its going to become a permanent class. in this class i met some other interexchange students from norway, germany and US.. so that was another good part :) the prof seems reallyyyy enthusiastic about what he talks about and about teaching us about the world, he kept my attention in spanish the entire time. I'm in. after class he talked to the girl from germany, julio, and I and seemed very welcoming and excited to have us. her and i exchanged #s so I hope we hang out.. she lives like 10min walking distance from me in an apartment with students from france and finland too, so itd be fun to hang out.

on the combi ride home from class i asked someone to make sure i was on the right combi.. he realized i was new to Lima and asked if he could sit with me, someone my age. so we talked the entire ride home, which was really cool considering he's a local and we had easy, good conversation.. we also exchanged contact info, so hopefully i'm making some friends/contacts.

today at 10am there was an earthquake drill throughout all of lima. in the states we have tornado drills and here we have earthquake drills. i still am curious to know what one feels like.

today i went to a new class, amazonian ethnography.. it's a new backup class but i think it would be very interesting. my first assignment is an essay about ecuadorian amazon culture. i tried to go to a business course today but it was cancelled or something, idno.. really confusing. so that was a let down. tomorrow i'm trying two new econ/business related courses though.. im hoping one of them sparks an interest with me because theyre upper level and im wondering what i can handle right now in this language.... which leads me to another new idea i'm having for my IFSA project, researching/interviewing american companies that are spreading into lima and why lima is an attractive location for them, including marriot, kpmg (new to lima) and some other ones..

tonight my combi made everyone get off early.. i couldnt tell if it broke down or just didnt feel like continuing its route like my mom said was probably the case.. so i had a 40min walk home.

about PUCP, my college.. today i wanted an orange juice and when i ordered it they made it fresh squeezed.. that was cool. and i still love seeing all of the deer wander around campus.. its still strange to me because in PA they run from humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment